Cancer Forums and News by PhD's

News | Forums Register

Go Back   Cancer Forums and News by PhD's > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Biologists at Tufts University discover 1 reason why chromosomes break, often leading

A new story entry has been added:

Biologists at Tufts University discover 1 reason why chromosomes break, often leading to cancer

Quote:
In the past ten years, researchers in genome stability have observed that many kinds of cancer are associated with areas where human chromosomes break. They have hypothesized ? but never proven ? that slow or altered replication led to the chromosomes breaking. In a Tufts University study published in the Aug. 3 journal "Molecular Cell," two molecular biologists have used yeast artificial chromosomes to prove the hypothesis. The Tufts researchers have found a highly flexible DNA sequence that increases fragility and stalls replication, which then causes the chromosome to break.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Hello Insurance Companies

I have this sneaking suspicion that when my genome is sequenced, in the next ten years, I am not only going to be charged for some c-kit mutation I am harboring but also for extended regions of at repeats!

what is an at repeat you ask? You may know that the nucleotide cytosine binds to guanine and adenine to thymine. Well the Adenine-Thymine bond is significantly weaker than the CG association. It also turns out that these AT repeats are necessary to allow the insertion of the rna transcription complex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement